Will serve as pure spiritual leader: Dalai Lama
Tokyo: The Dalai Lama has said that he would
serve as a "pure spiritual leader" after handing over his
"legitimate political authority" to Lobsang Sangay, the newly
elected Prime Minister of Tibet`s government-in-exile.
"I have now decided to hand over all my legitimate
political authority to the elected political leadership," the
Tibetan spiritual leader said here yesterday after presiding
over prayers for victims of Japan`s March 11 earthquake and
tsunami at a Buddhist temple.
"That does not mean I resign from (being the) Dalai
Lama," he was quoted as saying by Kyodo news agency. "I made
clear the Dalai Lama institution should be (that of a) pure
spiritual leader, spiritual institution."
His remarks came two days after Harvard legal scholar
Lobsang Sangay was elected the new Prime Minister of Tibet`s
government-in-exile in Dharamsala through votes cast by tens
of thousands of Tibetans around the world.
Now conditions are "sort of right, so I now decide to
hand over all my legitimate political authority to the elected
political leadership," the Dalai said.
"Now the majority of them (Tibetans) understand my
decision is timely," he said.
The Dalai criticised China for what he alleged the
political and cultural suppression of people in the Tibet
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani