Will strive to achieve `Chinese Dream`: Xi
Beijing: China`s legislature concluded its annual session today completing the once-in-a-decade long leadership transition with newly elected President Xi Jinping calling on the ruling Communist Party and people to rise up to realise the "Chinese Dream".
"In face of the mighty trend of the times and earnest expectations of the people for a better life, we cannot have the slightest complacency, or get the slightest slack at work," Xi said at the closing meeting of the National People`s Congress, China`s legislature.
"We must make persistent efforts, press ahead with indomitable will, continue to push forward the great cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics, and strive to achieve the Chinese dream of great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation," Xi said.
His address concluded the leadership transition from a decade long administration headed by Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao paving the way for new team led by Xi and Premier Li Keqiang, who were expected to steer China for the next decade.
To realise the "Chinese dream," China must take the Chinese way, he said.
As part of the leadership, the new leaders yesterday announced 25 Minister cabinet and a host of other officials.
The new administration takes over at time China`s three decades of strong economic growth slowed down to 7.8 per cent last from the previous 9.3 per cent.
The new government set this year`s target as 7.5 per cent.
China also faced a volatile situation in the neighbourhood with heightened tensions with Japan and South East Asian countries over the disputes islands in the East China Sea and South China Sea.
Besides corruption at levels, the new leadership is also faced simmering tensions in minority provinces like Tibet and Xinjiang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report