Will UK breach international law and arrest Assange?
Sydney: British Foreign Office risks breaching international law if it carries out its threat to revoke Ecuadorean embassy’s status to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, an official has said.
Sir Tony Brenton, who served as British ambassador to Russia between 2004 and 2008, said ‘arbitrarily’ overturning the status of the building where Assange has taken shelter to avoid extradition, would make life ``impossible`` for British diplomats overseas.
“I think the Foreign Office has slightly overreached themselves here, for both practical and legal reasons,” Sir Brenton told BBC Radio 4.
“The Government itself has no interest in creating a situation where it is possible for governments everywhere to arbitrarily cut off diplomatic immunity. It would be very bad,” he added.
According to The Telegraph, Sir Brenton said he it is ‘highly unlikely’ that the Foreign Office would carry out the threat.
He, however, warned that if it did, life would become ‘impossible’ for those working in British embassies around the world.
“If the Russians had had the power and simply walked into the embassy and simply arrested someone, we would have been in much more insecurity,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez