Will UK census 2011 reveal white-minority towns?
Census questions include that of migration, national identity & passports.
The trend revealed in several studies that parts of
Britain have increasing concentration of non-whites is likely
to be confirmed in the 2011 census.
Some of the main reasons for this is a declining white
population, increasing non-white immigration and population
growth in settled non-white. The first towns where non-whites
are expected to outnumber the whites are Leicester,
Birmingham, Slough and Luton.
In some council wards in these towns, as well as many
others across Britain, non-whites are already in a majority.
Thirty-five towns and cities had at least one council
ward that was `minority white`.
The forms can be completed online and by post.
Every household in the country has been sent a form
that asks who is living there as well as seeking details on
jobs, education and ethnic background.
The census has taken place in Britain every 10 years
since 1801, apart from during World War II.
First results from the 2011 Census, in the form of
summary data for local authorities, are planned for release in
More detailed results, for a range of statistical and
administrative areas, will follow throughout 2013 and into
The census forms include questions about national
identity, ethnic group, educational qualifications, job
titles, method of travelling to work and health status.
For the first time there are enquiries on civil
partnerships, second homes and recent migration.
But there are no questions on income, sexual
orientation or the nature of any disability.
More than one million forms have already been
submitted online and census organisers believe that about a
quarter of the 26 million households being surveyed will
complete the document on the internet.
Filling the forms in is compulsory. Enforcement
officers will start knocking on the doors of homes where a
census form has not been completed in five weeks` time.
Repeated failure to fill in the census form could
result in a fine of up to 1,000 pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand