Will West intervene in Syria sans UN approval?
Washington: The Obama administration has raised the possibility of countries intervening in Syria without United Nations approval, and has criticised Russia`s continued backing for President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
Western governments believe that diplomatic cover afforded by the Kremlin has emboldened Assad and encouraged him to resist pressure to negotiate a settlement of the conflict.
Susan Rice, the American ambassador to the UN, had earlier said that Russia`s veto-wielding membership of the Security Council would not necessarily prevent international action.
If the violence worsened and the peace plan proposed by Kofi Annan, the former UN secretary general, made no progress, some countries would consider whether to bypass Russian and Chinese opposition in the UN.
“Members of this Council and members of the international community are (then) left with the option only of having to consider whether they’re prepared to take actions outside of the Annan plan and the authority of this Council,” The Telegraph quoted Rice, as saying.
Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, during a speech in Denmark, urged Russia to use its influence on Assad to curb the fighting.
“The Syrians are not going to listen to us. They will listen - maybe - to the Russians, so we have to keep pushing them,” the paper quoted Hillary, as saying.
“Russian officials are telling me they don`t want to see a civil war. I have been telling them their policy is going help to contribute to a civil war,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore