Winnie Mandela ‘surprised’ at possible prosecution
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 17:15
  
Johannesburg: Winnie, the ex-wife of Nelson Mandela expressed shock and surprise at the prospects of being prosecuted following the exhumation of bodies believed to belong to two young activists last seen at her home 24 years ago.

She says in a statement received today that it is "difficult to legally imagine" what new evidence is contemplated given the diverse accounts presented more than 10 years ago to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

Forensic scientists last week exhumed two bodies with multiple stab wounds and believed to belong to Lolo Sono and Siboniso Shabala. Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's bodyguard told the commission she ordered him to kill the two she accused of being spies for the apartheid regime.

The commission found no evidence of that order but said Madikizela-Mandela must be responsible for their disappearances.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 17:15


comments powered by Disqus