`Winnie the Pooh` creator AA Milne worked as British secret agent
London: Classified intelligence files reveal that writer AA Milne, who created `Winnie the Pooh`, was also a British secret agent.
Documents showing Milne worked for the First World War propaganda unit MI7b have been found in an old trunk - where they narrowly escaped being hurled into a skip.
The files had survived a post-war order to burn all evidence of MI7b because a colleague of Milne, Captain James Lloyd, took them home, the Daily Express reported.
They were forgotten about until they were unearthed by the captain`s great-nephew, Jeremy Arter.
He realised their significance while clearing the house in Brecon, Mid-Wales.
"Much of the household belongings were to go in a skip. I was about to throw everything away but, leafing through, I saw a book with MI7b written on it and decided to take a closer look. When I turned the cover and saw the name AA Milne, I knew it was a historic document," Arter said.
Milne`s secret role came before he found success in the Twenties by writing.
His stories about Winnie-the Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore were based on toys belonging to his son, Christopher Robin.
He was a pacifist, but fought at the Somme and joined MI7b after being invalided out.
The unit had been set up in 1916 to help maintain domestic morale as thousands of soldiers died.
His 20-strong team used newspapers to plant stories of British heroes and sanitised accounts of life in the trenches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir