`Winnie the Pooh` creator AA Milne worked as British secret agent
London: Classified intelligence files reveal that writer AA Milne, who created `Winnie the Pooh`, was also a British secret agent.
Documents showing Milne worked for the First World War propaganda unit MI7b have been found in an old trunk - where they narrowly escaped being hurled into a skip.
The files had survived a post-war order to burn all evidence of MI7b because a colleague of Milne, Captain James Lloyd, took them home, the Daily Express reported.
They were forgotten about until they were unearthed by the captain`s great-nephew, Jeremy Arter.
He realised their significance while clearing the house in Brecon, Mid-Wales.
"Much of the household belongings were to go in a skip. I was about to throw everything away but, leafing through, I saw a book with MI7b written on it and decided to take a closer look. When I turned the cover and saw the name AA Milne, I knew it was a historic document," Arter said.
Milne`s secret role came before he found success in the Twenties by writing.
His stories about Winnie-the Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore were based on toys belonging to his son, Christopher Robin.
He was a pacifist, but fought at the Somme and joined MI7b after being invalided out.
The unit had been set up in 1916 to help maintain domestic morale as thousands of soldiers died.
His 20-strong team used newspapers to plant stories of British heroes and sanitised accounts of life in the trenches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees