Winter weary US struck by another big storm
Chicago: Winter-weary Americans were hit with another massive storm which was expected to dump as much as a foot of snow and a dangerous mix of freezing rain and sleet on a huge swath of the United States.
People barely had time to finish clearing their driveways from the last big storm when the warnings came that another whopper was headed their way.
"A winter storm moving across the Midwest eastward through the Northeast will be followed by another plunge of Arctic air into the center of the country," the national weather service warned.
"The southwestern US will be the only area of the country spared from this Arctic blast."
Temperatures have already been so unusually cold this winter that supplies of propane -- which many homes and livestock farmers use for heating -- are dangerously low. Seven Midwestern governors sent President Barack Obama a letter yesterday asking for help in relieving the shortages.
The central plains states of Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska were the first to be hit by this latest storm yesterday. By the evening commute, freezing rain had already knocked down power lines and snarled traffic as far east as Arkansas and Tennessee.
The storm was set to reach the east coast today, when a low pressure system would bring warmer air that would turn the heavy snow into freezing rain in the Appalachians and southern New England. The weather service warned it could also cause flash flooding.
Schools across the region sent children home early or cancelled classes completely and scores of government offices and businesses were also closed.
Authorities issued please to motorists to stay off the roads, citing the risk of traffic accidents.
The Kansas Highway Patrol filled its Twitter feed with photos of trucks, busses and cars which had slid off snow-covered roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark