Wintry weather hits UK, nation braces for traffic
London: Road-gritting and snow clearance teams are standing by to deal with the first onslaught of wintry weather in the UK as forecasters warn that temperatures are likely to plunge over the weekend.
Much colder weather is expected today, followed by temperatures plummeting to little above freezing tomorrow and Saturday as schools break up for the half-term holiday.
With snow expected on Scottish mountains and sleet in other areas, the Gritit company is holding a skid-prevention training event at Donington Park race track in Derbyshire today.
Gritit said, "With forecasters predicting a significant drop in temperatures this weekend, we are expecting our teams to be out gritting for the first time this season."
Gritit`s operations director, Nikki Singh-Barmi, added, "The driver safety training day at Donington is part of our annual preparations for the coming season. By the nature of their job, our drivers are required to be on the road during the most challenging and sometimes treacherous conditions, so it is vital they have the skills needed."
"We have a duty of care not only to our team and clients, but also the general public, and by introducing this practical training two years ago we`ve significantly reduced the number of incidents our drivers are involved in.
"In the exercise, drivers will experience, among other things, skid control, the best ways of spreading salt and how to "read" the weather.
MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, predicted that temperatures, which have been well above average in most places for late October, could fall as low as 3 degree celsius today.
A survey of nearly 2,000 drivers carried out by the RAC company found that 28 per cent were planning a holiday or a short break this autumn.
As a result, the breakdown service said it was gearing up for an autumn "roads rush" by scheduling an extra 10 per cent patrol hours on October 26 as well as for the expected rise in return-to-work call-outs on Monday November 5 from people who have left a vehicle - often a second family car - unused for a week.
RAC technical director David Bizley said, "The expected extra half-term traffic will have a significant impact on congestion on the roads. The RAC is advising motorists to listen to the weather forecast before making any long journeys and to ensure they are ready for adverse conditions on the road."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced