Woman admits leaving baby to die on US road
Rockford: A US woman believed to be the mother of two infants found dead in the trunk of a car has admitted to leaving another baby girl to freeze to death along a rural road nearly five years earlier.
After reaching an agreement with prosecutors, Katie Stockton of Illinois pleaded guilty yesterday to first-degree murder in the December 2004 death of the infant known as Baby Crystal, who authorities believe was Stockton`s daughter.
Winnebago County State`s Attorney Joe Bruscato agreed to drop other charges in the case. Neither Bruscato nor public defender David Doll commented after the hearing.
After Stockton`s 2009 arrest in Baby Crystal`s death, investigators discovered her car had been sitting in an impound lot for a year. They towed it to a sheriff`s department facility to search for more clues in that case. Instead, they found the remains of two other infants wrapped in cloth and stuffed in separate plastic bags.
Authorities have said DNA testing found Stockton likely was the mother of those two infants. She hasn`t been charged in those deaths.
Stockton originally was questioned in Baby Crystal`s death in 2004 after the newborn`s frozen remains were discovered in a plastic bag along a dead-end road near her parents` home. Prosecutors said that when detectives interviewed Stockton hours after the discovery, she lifted her shirt and asked if she looked like she had just given birth.
Stockton refused to provide a DNA sample, but detectives investigating the death collected evidence from a cigarette butt they saw her discard. Authorities said saliva on the cigarette butt matched blood found on the clothing with Baby Crystal, and Stockton was arrested.
Bruscato said further tests showed Stockton was the baby`s mother with a 99.96 percent certainty.
Stockton faces up to 60 years in prison when she`s sentenced April 5.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement