Woman charged over racist tirade in Australia
Melbourne: A 55-year-old woman has been arrested in Australia for directing a torrent of racial abuse at an Asian woman on a Sydney train.
The woman was arrested and charged with using offensive language after a video recording her tirade was posted online and went viral, sparking a social media backlash.
The woman, who told the media her name was Sue Wilkins but whose real name is reportedly Karen Bailey, allegedly mocked the language and facial features of the other passenger on a Sydney to Newcastle train on Wednesday, Australian Associated Press reported.
Her rant began by shouting at two children aged 7 and 10 when they did not give up their seat to her.
She soon lashed out at other passengers on the train who had started to film her behaviour.
She turned her attention to a man who was filming her, and then launched into a racist tirade against the Asian woman he happened to be standing beside him.
"He`s too lazy to jerk off, he can only get a gook," Bailey was filmed saying.
The term gook is a disparaging term to describe Asians.
"He can`t even get a regular girlfriend, it`s so sad, he`s got to get a gook."
She then began to mock the woman by speaking in a stereotypical Asian accent and pulling her eyes back in imitation.
Bailey was arrested at Wyong station on the Central Coast, and was issued a summons for offensive language.
After video of the attack went viral, the women told the Nine Network she just had a "brain snap" and couldn`t stop.
"I was just getting all this anger out at anybody that would be near me, anybody at all," she said.
"No one deserves to be spoken to like that".
If found guilty of offensive behaviour, she faces a 500 Australian dollar fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video