Woman doctor held for selling newborn in Russia
Moscow: A woman doctor at a maternity clinic in Russia was detained by police when he tried to sell a newborn baby for one million rubles (around $32,000), police said.
The incident took place in the southern city of Vladikavkaz.
The woman was caught red-handed as she accepted the first half of the sum, 500,000 rubles from police who posed as buyers. The deal came a few days after the baby was born.
"When we received a report that a doctor is involved in selling babies, police officers came to her posing as buyers. The doctor`s answer was: Wait," a police spokesman said, adding that three days later the deal was done.
Police suspect that the doctor could have forced the baby`s young mother to sell her child.
This is not the first case, when the chief doctor of the clinic in the capital of Russia`s republic of North Ossetia is involved in a child-selling deal, police said.
A spokesman for the Federal Security Service said the suspect is a member of a child trafficking racket, which also involves other senior officials at clinics in North Ossetia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt