Woman doctor held for selling newborn in Russia
Moscow: A woman doctor at a maternity clinic in Russia was detained by police when he tried to sell a newborn baby for one million rubles (around $32,000), police said.
The incident took place in the southern city of Vladikavkaz.
The woman was caught red-handed as she accepted the first half of the sum, 500,000 rubles from police who posed as buyers. The deal came a few days after the baby was born.
"When we received a report that a doctor is involved in selling babies, police officers came to her posing as buyers. The doctor`s answer was: Wait," a police spokesman said, adding that three days later the deal was done.
Police suspect that the doctor could have forced the baby`s young mother to sell her child.
This is not the first case, when the chief doctor of the clinic in the capital of Russia`s republic of North Ossetia is involved in a child-selling deal, police said.
A spokesman for the Federal Security Service said the suspect is a member of a child trafficking racket, which also involves other senior officials at clinics in North Ossetia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown