Woman faces attack after calling off marriage
London: A British bride-to-be was seriously injured when her ex-fiance attacked her with a kitchen knife, a day after she called off their wedding.
Sandra Cheadle, 42, and Andrew Bailey had been planning to marry in a ceremony inspired by a Hollywood movie starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. But she broke off their engagement due to his obsessive jealousy, the Daily Mail reported.
Bailey, also 42, staged a terrifying ambush in the street as Cheadle walked to work.
At Preston Crown Court, where Bailey was jailed for 18 years for attempted murder, a jury heard how he armed himself with a knife and lay in wait for his ex-fiancee under a bridge.
He then subjected Cheadle to a frenzied attack as she tried to flee. Her life was saved after three passing motorists saw a struggle between the pair and stopped to intervene.
The couple`s relationship had been on and off since November 2010.
They had met when Cheadle - whose first husband died in June 2010 - cared for Bailey`s late grandmother. In March 2011, the two lovers got engaged and had planned their wedding for the following December.
But when Cheadle called off the relationship in August 2011, Bailey had started sending her abusive text messages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000