`Woman facing stoning unaware of lash reports`
Tehran: The Iranian woman facing death by
stoning has expressed surprise over reports that she was
lashed after a British newspaper published a picture showing
her without a headscarf, a judiciary official who says he met
her told Fars news agency on Wednesday.
Fars reported that Vahid Kazemzadeh, member of the
Iranian judiciary`s Islamic Human Rights Commission, said he
met Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani who told him that she has also
complained against her lawyer Mohammad Mostafaie whom she
"She was unaware and surprised by reports of
(receiving) lashes after a British newspaper printed a picture
which was not hers and had mistakenly mentioned her name under
it," Kazemzadeh said.
Mohammadi-Ashtiani`s son, Sajjad, told a Paris news
conference by telephone on Monday that he "heard" his
43-year-old mother received 99 lashes in prison after The
Times of London published on August 28 a picture claiming to
be of Mohammadi-Ashtiani and showing her hair unveiled.
By law, women in the Islamic republic must be covered
from head to foot, with their hair completely veiled.
Kazemzadeh said Mohammadi-Ashtiani also claims that
she never met Mostafaie personally, who she had appointed as
her lawyer through another woman.
"Ms Ashtiani claims she has never met Mr Mohammad
Mostafaie, the lawyer who has tarnished her and her family`s
reputation... by conducting interviews and spreading news
without her consent," Kazemzadeh said.
He said that she claimed having paid Mostafaie 20
million rials (USD 2,000) to represent her but he left the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?