Woman in Berlusconi sex trial denounces tactics
Milan: The Moroccan woman at the center of ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi`s sex-for-hire trial accused investigators on Thursday of waging psychological warfare against her but admitted that she had lied in the past to hide her poverty-stricken origins.
In an unusual protest in front of Milan`s courthouse, Karima el-Mahroug, better known as Ruby, read out a tearful, six-page statement today denying she was a prostitute, saying she had never had sex with Berlusconi and insisting that prosecutors hear her side of the story.
"I have nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to hide," el-Mahroug said.
She denounced what she called "psychological torture" directed at her by people pretending to help her and also accused the media of having defamed her.
Berlusconi is accused of having paid for sex with el-Mahroug while she was a teenager during his infamous "bunga-bunga" parties at his villa near Milan, and then trying to cover it up. Both deny sexual contact.
El-Mahroug`s protest came at a politically sensitive time for Italy, as Berlusconi`s center-right party is seeking to muscle its way into a governing coalition after coming in second in inconclusive February elections.
Parliament is also poised to elect a new president in the coming weeks, a highly politicized process given that the new president will have a major role to play in calling new elections if no government can be formed from Italy`s top three squabbling political blocs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- France`s highest court to rule Friday on burkini ban
- Casualty rate soars for Afghan security forces: NATO
- Sheena Bora murder case: 20 clips of recorded telephone conversations emerge
- Rio Olympics after-effects: Marathon runner OP Jaisha also tests positive for H1N1; hospitalised
- Hyderabad varsity JAC condemns judicial commission report