Woman raped after a night out drinking, risks Dubai jail
London: A 24-year-old British woman risks prison in Dubai after she told the police that she was raped after a night out drinking with friends, a media report said.
If the woman`s account is not believed, she may face jail for drinking and having sex outside marriage, The Sun reported on Monday.
The accused man claims that she agreed to sleep with him.
The woman, however, said the man raped her after driving her into the desert.
She claims the man gave her a lift home after a night out drinking with friends at the Dubai Marina.
He is then alleged to have driven her to a remote area and attacked her, before taking her to her flat and raping her again.
"She told police she screamed and cried out begging him to stop during both attacks which were entirely against her will. She went straight to the nearest police station and reported the sex attack at 3.20 am the same day," a Dubai court source was quoted as saying.
The alleged assailant was tracked down with the help of his mobile number that the victim had saved when they were introduced earlier in the night.
"The case will be heard in full before a judge who will decide who is telling the truth, but the girl may face difficulties if her story is not believed. She is still regarded as the victim at this stage, though she has already admitted being drunk, which is itself an offence in Dubai.”
"And if the court finds in the man`s favour, she could face a charge of having unlawful sex as well which might land her in jail for a year followed by deportation," the source added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference