Women can be force for Mideast peace: Hillary
Muscat: Women can be a major power in convincing Mideast leaders to agree to a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace deal, US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Wednesday as she urged regional leaders to embrace the rising expectations of their skyrocketing youth populations.
At a town hall meeting with civic leaders in the capital of Oman, Hillary said calls from women on both sides of the conflict in Northern Ireland had contributed to a resolution and suggested that a meeting of minds between Arab and Israeli women could provide a similar impetus for peace.
"Women played a major role in pushing the politicians to find some solutions," she said. "It was very clear that there just couldn`t be a divide when people on both sides were suffering in the same way."
Hillary stressed that she had no illusions that such a process would be easy or successful, saying, "There is a lot of work that we need to do in this world to try and create this awareness."
But she said joint demands from women concerned about their families` futures could "press government and leaders to make the necessary decisions that will lead to sustainable peace”.
Hillary also said that failing to address the concerns and aspirations of Middle Eastern women and youth could have disastrous consequences. She said the region is seeing a "generation larger than anything we have ever seen coming of age" and they need to heard if Arab nations want to succeed in the 21st century.
Her comments on the third stop of a four-nation tour of the Persian Gulf came as unrest among disaffected youth and the unemployed continued in Tunisia and Algeria. Hillary began her trip in the United Arab Emirates and arrived in Oman from Yemen late Tuesday. She visits Qatar on Thursday before returning to Washington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video