Women, children refuse to leave Syria`s Homs: Activists
Beirut: More than half of the 500 women and children trapped in the Syrian city of Homs refuse to be evacuated, saying they fear leaving male relatives behind, activists said Monday.
"Some 200 women and children, those suffering the worst as a result of the lack of food and medical supplies because of the army siege, are ready to be evacuated," said Abu Ziad, an activist in the besieged, rebel-held part of the central city.
"Those willing to leave would only do so if there are guarantees they won`t be detained by the regime... But many others do not want to leave their husbands behind."
He spoke a day after the UN-Arab League envoy to Syria, who is leading peace talks in Geneva, said that women and children trapped in besieged areas of Homs would be allowed to leave Monday.
Lakhdar Brahimi also said the government had agreed to allow humanitarian aid into the rebel areas, which have been under siege for nearly 600 days.
By Monday afternoon, however, there was no confirmation that any aid would be brought in, or that anyone would be allowed out, said Abu Ziad.
"The shelling is still non-stop. Many houses are on fire. People are still getting killed."
Activists in Homs`s rebel districts, which cover only a tiny section of Syria`s third city, cautiously welcomed the proposal.
But they also said the aid must be sufficient to meet their needs, while demanding guarantees that any women, children and wounded people who choose to leave will not be detained.
Some 3,000 people are trapped in Homs` rebel-held areas, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based group with a network of sources inside the war-ravaged country.
Fighting rages on the edges of the besieged districts, which come under daily shelling, and food and medical supplies have all but run out.
"One of the women who is desperate to go has been eating nothing but olives, one meal a day, for weeks. She is breastfeeding her infant child, and can give him nothing," said Abu Ziad.
"There are many tragic stories here."
Rights groups have repeatedly condemned the siege of Homs` Old City and called for all parties in Syria`s conflict to facilitate immediate humanitarian access.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi