`Women incite domestic violence with cold dinners`
London: An Italian priest has caused outrage for saying that women were partly to be blamed for encouraging domestic violence by failing to clean their houses and cook properly and for wearing tight and provocative clothing.
Italian media reported that parish priest Piero Corsi fixed an article to the bulletin board of his church in the northern village of San Terenzo di Lerici, which said women should engage in ‘healthy self criticism’ over the issue of femicide, or men murdering women.
Domestic violence against women is a serious problem in Italy, although a report by a United Nations mission in June said it was ‘largely invisible and underreported,’ the Telegraph reports.
The article, posted on a website by a conservative Catholic named Bruno Volpe, attacked pornography and erotic television advertising.
It said that women shared the blame for ‘provoking the worst instincts, which then turn into violence and sexual abuse’.
According to the report, Mayor of Lerici, Marco Caluri, said that the article was ‘astonishing and deeply offensive’.
The bishop of La Spezia ordered it to be taken down, saying it contained ‘unacceptable opinions which are against the common position of the church’.
A UN report citing data from Italian statistics agency ISTAT said that a third of women in Italy have reported being victim of serious domestic violence.
It said that as many as 127 women had been murdered by men in 2010, often as a result of ‘honour, men`s unemployment and jealousy by the perpetrator’, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad