Women strip at Kiev zoo to protest animal deaths
Kiev: A group of topless female protestors
today climbed onto the roof of Kiev`s crumbling zoo to call
for its closure and highlight the recent deaths of rare
The activists from the Femen all-women group, which often
targets politicians with its eye-catching protests, unfurled a
banner decorated with animal skulls above the main entrance,
reading "zoo morgue."
The women chanted "slaughterers!" and posed wearing
animal masks and sheets daubed with the words "killer" and
"slaughterer" before being grabbed by security guards.
"Every year... carries away the lives of hundreds of rare
animals, which die a horrible death from hunger, cold,
illnesses and unbearable living conditions," the group said in
a statement, calling for the authorities to close down the
Concerns over the Soviet-era zoo were raised following
the unexplained deaths of animals including its only elephant,
40-year-old Boy, who died last year in what zoo officials said
was a poisoning case.
The zoo`s director said this week that two rare deer that
died recently at the zoo were also poisoned, Ukrainian
Kiev prosecutors in May opened a probe into embezzlement
and fraud at the zoo under its previous director.
Zoos built in the Soviet era are now extremely outdated,
with cramped concrete enclosures and a lack of stimulation for
In September police detained two activists from animal
rights campaign group PETA in Moscow as they attempted to
strip in a protest against the use of leather and fur in
clothing, the RIA Novosti news agency reported.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'