Women wear hijab in support of hate victim
London: One million women worldwide have posted their pictures on Facebook wearing the hijab to show their support for an Iraqi immigrant in the US who was brutally murdered.
Mother-of-five Shaima Alawadi was found beaten and unconscious in her San Diego home last month which officials described as a "hate crime".
Now as a show of solidarity towards the female Islamic community, one million women - many of whom are non-Muslim - have posted their photos wearing the traditional headscarf, the Daily Mail reported.
The campaign, "One Million Hijabs for Shaima Alawadi", has seen women worldwide wear the Islamic headscarf to show support for the family and friends of Alawadi, who was found dead March 21.
Alawadi`s husband had made an emotional plea to catch her "racist" killer, after she was found in a pool of blood next to a note which read, "go back to your country, you terrorist".
Women have also sent their messages of support while posting their photos.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind