Won`t let any `group` dominate Egypt: Army Chief Tantawi
Cairo: Egypt`s top general has raised the stakes in the military`s political standoff with the Muslim Brotherhood, saying the armed forces will not allow a "certain group" to dominate the country.
Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi did not mention a specific organisation, but his comments today in the city of Ismalia were clearly referring to President Mohammed Mursi`s Brotherhood.
Tantawi is the most senior of the generals who took power after last year`s popular uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak. They handed over power to Mursi last month, but first issued a decree ensuring the army retained key powers and stripping the president of others.
Mursi last week defied the military when he revoked a decree by the generals to dissolve the Brotherhood-dominated parliament on the basis of a June 14 court verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics