Won`t let any `group` dominate Egypt: Army Chief Tantawi
Cairo: Egypt`s top general has raised the stakes in the military`s political standoff with the Muslim Brotherhood, saying the armed forces will not allow a "certain group" to dominate the country.
Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi did not mention a specific organisation, but his comments today in the city of Ismalia were clearly referring to President Mohammed Mursi`s Brotherhood.
Tantawi is the most senior of the generals who took power after last year`s popular uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak. They handed over power to Mursi last month, but first issued a decree ensuring the army retained key powers and stripping the president of others.
Mursi last week defied the military when he revoked a decree by the generals to dissolve the Brotherhood-dominated parliament on the basis of a June 14 court verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH