Won`t let any `group` dominate Egypt: Army Chief Tantawi
Cairo: Egypt`s top general has raised the stakes in the military`s political standoff with the Muslim Brotherhood, saying the armed forces will not allow a "certain group" to dominate the country.
Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi did not mention a specific organisation, but his comments today in the city of Ismalia were clearly referring to President Mohammed Mursi`s Brotherhood.
Tantawi is the most senior of the generals who took power after last year`s popular uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak. They handed over power to Mursi last month, but first issued a decree ensuring the army retained key powers and stripping the president of others.
Mursi last week defied the military when he revoked a decree by the generals to dissolve the Brotherhood-dominated parliament on the basis of a June 14 court verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder