`Work diplomatically` to reduce tensions, US to Iran on Nowruz
Washington: There is an opportunity to "work diplomatically" to reduce tensions between the two countries, the US Secretary of State John Kerry said in his Nowruz message to the people of Iran.
"Despite the difficult history of the last decades between the United States and Iran, there is an opportunity to work diplomatically to reduce tensions and address the mistrust between our two countries, to the mutual benefit of both of our people," Kerry said yesterday in his special message to the Iranian People on Nowruz.
The United States, he said, is strongly committed to resolving the differences between Iran and the United States, and continuing to work toward a new day in the relationship.
"We sincerely hope Iran`s leaders choose to fulfill their obligations to not only the international community but also to their people so that Iran can begin to take its proper place in the community of nations, and the Iranian people can have access to the same opportunities and freedoms enjoyed by others around the world," Kerry said.
"Just last month, Americans and Iranians came together to demonstrate outstanding sportsmanship and camaraderie on the wrestling mats in Tehran.
On this Nowruz, we would like to reaffirm our desire to continue building strong people-to-people ties to promote greater understanding, peace, and progress," he said.
Sending warm wishes for health and prosperity to the people of Iran and all those who celebrate Nowruz around the world, Kerry said, this year they are once again reminded of the outstanding contributions of Iranian-Americans and Iranian students here in the United States, which reflect the rich history of the culture.
Nowruz, meaning `New day`, is being celebrated today in several countries.
This ancestral festival, which has been observed for more than 3,000 years marks the Iranian/Persian New Year.
In February 2010 UNESCO recognised The International Day of Nowruz on their list of "Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi