World leaders condole Saudi crown prince`s death
Riyadh: A number of world leaders have sent their condolences to Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the royal family and the people over the demise of Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The 78-year-old Prince Nayef breathed his last on Saturday following a prolonged illness. His funeral is to be held on Sunday after sunset prayers (around 9.45 pm IST) in Mecca.
In his message to King Abdullah, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed his "profound sorrow and deep grief" and offered India`s "deepest condolences" over the sudden demise of the crown prince.
"Prince Nayef will always be remembered and admired for his outstanding contribution towards the development of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in many different fields," Manmohan Singh.
According to BBC, British Prime Minister David Cameron praised the prince`s "dedication" and US President Barack Obama focused on his role in fighting terrorism.
Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, while leaving for Saudi Arabia, said that entire nation was grieved over the death of the crown prince, Geo News reported.
"The contributions of Crown Prince Nayef for Pakistan will always be remembered," Gilani said, adding he had played a significant role in strengthening the fraternal bond between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
According to SPA, condolences were also expressed by leaders and officials of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and Arab states.
Kuwaiti Deputy Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Khalid Al-Hamad Al-Sabah said Kuwait has lost a dear brother and sincere supporter, recalling the achievements and services provided by crown prince Nayef for his homeland.
In a message, director general of the Executive Board of the Council of GCC Ministers of Health Tawfiq bin Ahmed Khoja, said Crown Prince Nayef accomplished much in all fields, particularly in the spheres of defence of his homeland, its security, progress and prosperity.
In a statement, Palestinian Fatah Movement commended the crown prince for his pioneering role in supporting the Palestinian people and their just issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars