World leaders congratulate Francois Hollande
Paris: World leaders including US President Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron on Sunday night congratulated Francois Hollande on his victory in the French Presidential Elections.
In a phone call made to Hollande after the results were announced, Obama said he looked forward to working closely with the French President-elect and his government on a range of shared economic and security challenges.
"President Obama noted that he will welcome President-elect Hollande to Camp David for the G8 Summit and to Chicago for the NATO Summit later this month, and proposed that they meet beforehand at the White House," Xinhua quoted the White House as saying in a statement.
Obama and Hollande each reaffirmed the important and enduring alliance between the people of the two countries, the statement said.
Merkel extended an invitation to Hollande in a phone call on Sunday night to visit Berlin as soon as he formally takes office in mid May, said Steffen Seibert, spokesman at the German Chancellor`s office.
German President Joachim Gauck also wished Hollande "good luck" for his five-year term for the service of France and Europe, a presidential spokesman said.
Cameron and Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo also extended their congratulations to Hollande, while vowing to work for a close partnership in the future.
Calling Hollande`s election a "historic event", German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said both sides should keep on cooperating closely in implementing the European Union`s policies and coping with the common challenge.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India