World leaders greet new Chinese President Xi
Beijing: Several world leaders on Thursday greeted Xi Jinping on his election as the new Chinese President.
According to the Chinese Foreign Ministry, the leaders who have offered congratulations included Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba, top leader of the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un, Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang and President of Laos Choummaly Sayasone.
Spanish King Juan Carlos I, Japanese Emperor Akihito and South Korean President Park Geun-hye also greeted Xi.
The leaders who have sent congratulatory messages also included Bangladeshi President Zillur Rahman, Singaporean President Tony Tan Keng Yam, Zambian President Michael Sata, Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou and Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
Among others who greeted the new Chinese leader were Cypriot President Nikos Anastasiades, Hungarian President Janos Ader, Ukrainian President Victor Yanukovych, Kim Yong Nam, chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme People`s Assembly of the DPRK, Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
The 3,000-member Chinese Parliament, the National People Congress, elected 59-year-old Xi as President and the Chairman of the Military Commission, four months after he took over as the General Secretary of the Communist Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation