World must step up efforts to counter protectionism: Germany
New Delhi: Sharing concerns of India and
other developing countries, Germany on Tuesday opposed increasing
protectionist measures taken by some countries in response to
global financial crisis.
Addressing Indian businessmen here, German President
Horst Kohler said the world community has to enhance their
efforts to counter protectionist tendencies.
"The world must continue to take decisive action to
counter such (protectionist) tendencies," Kohler said at the
function organised by industry body CII and FICCI.
Without naming any nation, Kohler said that many countries
are adopting protectionist approach to stem the global
The President`s comments, incidentally, coincide with US
President Barack Obama heightening the pitch to protect
American jobs in the wake of employment losses due to
outsourcing to developing countries like India.
The German President said: "We saw, how in many countries
protectionist tendencies increased as a reaction to the
(global financial) crisis, even though this will ultimately be
to the detriment of everyone".
Following the collapse of Lehman Brothers that deepened
the global financial meltdown in October 2008, many developed
countries turned cautious and some have even adopted
protectionist steps to safeguard their economies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow