World powers `naive` in imposing sanctions: Iran Prez
Tehran: World powers have been "naive" in imposing new UN sanctions on Iran that will only end up hurting them, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday said on his return to Tehran.
"The bullying powers issued this resolution in order to defend themselves," he told his government`s senior officials, state television`s website reported.
"But of course this defence is very naive because they themselves are going to be hurt," he said.
Soon after the sanctions were imposed on Wednesday, Ahmadinejad lashed out against world powers from Dushanbe while on an official visit and compared the measures to a "used hanky" which deserved to be thrown away.
His reaction yesterday was his first made in Tehran since returning from the overseas trip, which included a stop in China, a close trading partner of Iran which also voted in favour of the sanctions.
In China, Ahmadinejad expressed outrage against the sanctions.
They were the fourth set of UN Security Council sanctions imposed on Iran over its controversial nuclear programme, which world powers suspect masks a weapons drive. Tehran denies the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof