World powers `naive` in imposing sanctions: Iran Prez
Tehran: World powers have been "naive" in imposing new UN sanctions on Iran that will only end up hurting them, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday said on his return to Tehran.
"The bullying powers issued this resolution in order to defend themselves," he told his government`s senior officials, state television`s website reported.
"But of course this defence is very naive because they themselves are going to be hurt," he said.
Soon after the sanctions were imposed on Wednesday, Ahmadinejad lashed out against world powers from Dushanbe while on an official visit and compared the measures to a "used hanky" which deserved to be thrown away.
His reaction yesterday was his first made in Tehran since returning from the overseas trip, which included a stop in China, a close trading partner of Iran which also voted in favour of the sanctions.
In China, Ahmadinejad expressed outrage against the sanctions.
They were the fourth set of UN Security Council sanctions imposed on Iran over its controversial nuclear programme, which world powers suspect masks a weapons drive. Tehran denies the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Good news for wait-listed passengers! Now upgrade to Air India if train ticket not confirmed
- North Korea's Kim Jong-Un turns into a matchmaker for his sister, set to host dating contest
- Super-hot! Sussanne Khan, Bipasha Basu, Malaika Arora on the cover of Femina Luxury issue
- All you want to know about Salman Khan-Arijit Singh feud! – Details inside
- Donald Trump fires his national political director - campaign sources