World powers say `serious` about Iran nuclear deal: Report
Tehran: World powers have assured Tehran they are "serious" about a nuclear deal clinched in Geneva and are keen to take it forward, local media today reported Iran`s top diplomat as saying.
The reports said Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had received a call from EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, chief negotiator for the so-called P5+1 powers, to stress they were committed to the deal.
"Ms Ashton contacted me to reassure (us) that the P5+1 is serious about implementing its commitments and expressed hope of making progress in the work," the official IRNA news agency reported Zarif as saying.
Iran and the P5+1 group -- the United States, China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany -- reached a landmark deal in Geneva on November 24 on Tehran`s disputed nuclear drive which the West suspects has military dimensions, despite Tehran`s denial.
Under the accord, which lasts for six months, Iran pledged to limit uranium enrichment to low fissile purities. It will also lower the purity of its stockpile of medium-enriched material, which is relatively easy to convert to weapons-grade, or convert it to another form.
In exchange for the freeze, Iran will receive some USD 7 billion (5.2 billion euros) in sanctions relief and the powers promised to impose no new embargo measures for six months if Tehran sticks to the accord.
Iran and the P5+1 powers are expected to meet at expert-level in Vienna on December 9 and 10 to pave the way for full implementation of the deal.
Tehran`s envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Reza Najafi, indicated that Iran`s six-month freeze of its nuclear programme would start by early January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`