World powers say `serious` about Iran nuclear deal: Report
Tehran: World powers have assured Tehran they are "serious" about a nuclear deal clinched in Geneva and are keen to take it forward, local media today reported Iran`s top diplomat as saying.
The reports said Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had received a call from EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, chief negotiator for the so-called P5+1 powers, to stress they were committed to the deal.
"Ms Ashton contacted me to reassure (us) that the P5+1 is serious about implementing its commitments and expressed hope of making progress in the work," the official IRNA news agency reported Zarif as saying.
Iran and the P5+1 group -- the United States, China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany -- reached a landmark deal in Geneva on November 24 on Tehran`s disputed nuclear drive which the West suspects has military dimensions, despite Tehran`s denial.
Under the accord, which lasts for six months, Iran pledged to limit uranium enrichment to low fissile purities. It will also lower the purity of its stockpile of medium-enriched material, which is relatively easy to convert to weapons-grade, or convert it to another form.
In exchange for the freeze, Iran will receive some USD 7 billion (5.2 billion euros) in sanctions relief and the powers promised to impose no new embargo measures for six months if Tehran sticks to the accord.
Iran and the P5+1 powers are expected to meet at expert-level in Vienna on December 9 and 10 to pave the way for full implementation of the deal.
Tehran`s envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Reza Najafi, indicated that Iran`s six-month freeze of its nuclear programme would start by early January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!