World powers tell Iran door still open
Washington: World powers negotiating on Iran`s nuclear programme have renewed their offer for talks despite imposing new sanctions against the Islamic republic,
the United States said on Saturday.
Senior US diplomat William Burns travelled to Brussels for talks with Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the European Union on the next steps on Iran, the State Department said.
"They restated the offer to meet with Iran for discussions on the nuclear issue and stressed the door remains open to Iran," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told
He said the powers endorsed an offer by EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton, who wrote to Iran last month inviting him for talks.
The so-called P5-plus-One -- the five veto-wielding powers on the Security Council plus Germany – were instrumental in pushing forward a UN resolution last month that imposed a fourth set of sanctions on Iran.
The Brussels meeting agreed on the "importance of swift enforcement" of the resolution, Toner said.
The United States and European Union are worried that Iran`s clerical regime, which is staunchly anti-Western and anti-Israel, is developing nuclear weapons.
But US President Barack Obama has also offered to engage in dialogue with Iran to find a way to end decades of hostility.
Iran insists that its nuclear program is only for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video