World rings in 2012 with spectacular fireworks
Sydney: People across the world welcome year 2012 with spectacular fireworks and crowded
parties as billions mark the end of 2011 with noisy celebrations from Sydney to Stockholm.
In Australia, more than 1.5 million gathered at vantage points alongside Sydney Harbour to watch a pyrotechnic spectacule that had the arch of the Sydney Harbour Bridge as its focal point.
In New Zealand, revellers already celebrated the ushering in of the New Year. As the clock struck 12, a brilliant display of fireworks lit up the sky in Auckland.
However, bad weather led to cancellation of outdoor events in several New Zealand cities and towns.
Earlier, Samoa and Tokelau in the Pacific marked the onset of 2012 after skipping a day by jumping west across the international dateline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore