World suspension of Israel flights `great victory`: Hamas
Gaza City: Hamas on Wednesday said the suspension of international flights to and from Israel over security concerns about Gaza rocket fire was a "great victory."
"The success of Hamas in closing Israeli airspace is a great victory for the resistance, and is the crown of Israel`s failure," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.
A rocket fired from the embattled Palestinian territory hit near Tel Aviv`s Ben Gurion airport on Tuesday, prompting US and European airlines to suspend all flights to and from the Jewish state.
The flight ban was still in place today, as Israel bombarded Gaza for a 16th straight day in an operation to stop rocket fire and destroy tunnels constructed by Hamas, the main power in the territory.
Since the operation began on July 8, militants have fired 2,120 rockets or mortar rounds at Israel, 1,752 of which have hit the Jewish state, according to the army.
Israel`s Iron Dome air defence system has intercepted 433 rockets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!