World suspension of Israel flights `great victory`: Hamas
Gaza City: Hamas on Wednesday said the suspension of international flights to and from Israel over security concerns about Gaza rocket fire was a "great victory."
"The success of Hamas in closing Israeli airspace is a great victory for the resistance, and is the crown of Israel`s failure," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.
A rocket fired from the embattled Palestinian territory hit near Tel Aviv`s Ben Gurion airport on Tuesday, prompting US and European airlines to suspend all flights to and from the Jewish state.
The flight ban was still in place today, as Israel bombarded Gaza for a 16th straight day in an operation to stop rocket fire and destroy tunnels constructed by Hamas, the main power in the territory.
Since the operation began on July 8, militants have fired 2,120 rockets or mortar rounds at Israel, 1,752 of which have hit the Jewish state, according to the army.
Israel`s Iron Dome air defence system has intercepted 433 rockets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections