World to run out of chocolate by 2020!
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: In what would be akin to doomsday for all chocoholics, experts have predicted that the world will officially run out of chocolate on October 2, 2020.
As per a report in the Daily Star, the ever-expanding global demand coupled with the decrease in cocoa plantation is the reason behind the impending doom.
Farmers in cocoa producing nations are increasingly switching to rubber as it gives better yields. However, given the huge increase in demand for chocolate and the lack of space and forestry - 2.3 globes are needed to fulfil the demand – there is no solution to the problem.
But the seven years to 2020 would also be difficult for the chocolate lover as prices are set to shoot given the progressive decline in supply.
Global cocoa supplies are already tight amid fears o a decline in supply from West Africa.
Also, as in the case of oil, a rise in demand from growing Asia will further push up the demand for the already scarce bean.
Clearly, chocolate as we know it may not last long. It will be replaced by more of the crunchy variety where there’s less of chocolate and more of assorted fillings like raisins and wafers.
The pleasure of biting into a bar of pure chocolate...ummm!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?