World to run out of chocolate by 2020!
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: In what would be akin to doomsday for all chocoholics, experts have predicted that the world will officially run out of chocolate on October 2, 2020.
As per a report in the Daily Star, the ever-expanding global demand coupled with the decrease in cocoa plantation is the reason behind the impending doom.
Farmers in cocoa producing nations are increasingly switching to rubber as it gives better yields. However, given the huge increase in demand for chocolate and the lack of space and forestry - 2.3 globes are needed to fulfil the demand – there is no solution to the problem.
But the seven years to 2020 would also be difficult for the chocolate lover as prices are set to shoot given the progressive decline in supply.
Global cocoa supplies are already tight amid fears o a decline in supply from West Africa.
Also, as in the case of oil, a rise in demand from growing Asia will further push up the demand for the already scarce bean.
Clearly, chocolate as we know it may not last long. It will be replaced by more of the crunchy variety where there’s less of chocolate and more of assorted fillings like raisins and wafers.
The pleasure of biting into a bar of pure chocolate...ummm!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!