World War II vets hope lake in Italy yields GIs` remains
Albany(US): The discovery of a World War II amphibious vehicle on the bottom of an Italian lake is raising hopes among a group of American veterans that the remains of two dozen of their comrades will be found and possibly recovered for burial in the US.
The Italian volunteer organisation that found the truck on the bottom of Lake Garda last December believes it`s the same one that sank in 1945, killing 24 of the 25 US soldiers aboard the open-topped vehicle known as a DUKW (duhk).
The bodies of the artillerymen from the 10th Mountain Division were never recovered from the alpine lake.
Veterans who fought in Italy in the war`s waning days say they hope the US military will take steps to find and locate the soldiers` remains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble