World War II vets hope lake in Italy yields GIs` remains
Albany(US): The discovery of a World War II amphibious vehicle on the bottom of an Italian lake is raising hopes among a group of American veterans that the remains of two dozen of their comrades will be found and possibly recovered for burial in the US.
The Italian volunteer organisation that found the truck on the bottom of Lake Garda last December believes it`s the same one that sank in 1945, killing 24 of the 25 US soldiers aboard the open-topped vehicle known as a DUKW (duhk).
The bodies of the artillerymen from the 10th Mountain Division were never recovered from the alpine lake.
Veterans who fought in Italy in the war`s waning days say they hope the US military will take steps to find and locate the soldiers` remains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!