World War II vets hope lake in Italy yields GIs` remains
Albany(US): The discovery of a World War II amphibious vehicle on the bottom of an Italian lake is raising hopes among a group of American veterans that the remains of two dozen of their comrades will be found and possibly recovered for burial in the US.
The Italian volunteer organisation that found the truck on the bottom of Lake Garda last December believes it`s the same one that sank in 1945, killing 24 of the 25 US soldiers aboard the open-topped vehicle known as a DUKW (duhk).
The bodies of the artillerymen from the 10th Mountain Division were never recovered from the alpine lake.
Veterans who fought in Italy in the war`s waning days say they hope the US military will take steps to find and locate the soldiers` remains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan