World`s first stealth boat up for auction
London: The world`s first stealth boat, a top secret experimental vessel built for the US Navy in the 1980s that was also an inspiration in a James Bond movie, is up for auction.
Built for about USD 190 million, the Sea Shadow, which was the inspiration for the villain`s boat in the 1997 James Bond film `Tomorrow Never Dies`, could be yours for a fraction of that price after being put up for sale on an eBay-style website.
But don`t expect to sail off on any undercover missions - the 563-ton vessel is being sold for scrap, the Daily Mail reported.
Measuring 164 ft by 70 ft and capable of cruising at a maximum of 14 knots, it was developed for the US Navy by an agency of the US Defence Department and Lockheed Martin.
But the Navy never commissioned the ship and it was later used to evaluate new technologies in a realistic at-sea environment before languishing in dry dock in California, the report said.
The authorities hoped to find a museum to house it, but it is now for sale on the GSA Auctions website for military products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda