World`s first stealth boat up for auction
London: The world`s first stealth boat, a top secret experimental vessel built for the US Navy in the 1980s that was also an inspiration in a James Bond movie, is up for auction.
Built for about USD 190 million, the Sea Shadow, which was the inspiration for the villain`s boat in the 1997 James Bond film `Tomorrow Never Dies`, could be yours for a fraction of that price after being put up for sale on an eBay-style website.
But don`t expect to sail off on any undercover missions - the 563-ton vessel is being sold for scrap, the Daily Mail reported.
Measuring 164 ft by 70 ft and capable of cruising at a maximum of 14 knots, it was developed for the US Navy by an agency of the US Defence Department and Lockheed Martin.
But the Navy never commissioned the ship and it was later used to evaluate new technologies in a realistic at-sea environment before languishing in dry dock in California, the report said.
The authorities hoped to find a museum to house it, but it is now for sale on the GSA Auctions website for military products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday