World`s most powerful man, Barack Obama, is scared of his wife!
New York: US President Barack Obama, arguably the world`s most powerful man, is scared of his wife Michelle and has stopped smoking out of fear of the First Lady.
In an unguarded moment, an open mic caught Obama telling a UN official that he was able to successfully quit smoking "because I`m scared of my wife".
Following a Civil Society Roundtable at the opening day of the UN General Assembly meeting yesterday, an open mic caught the President questioning UN Special Rapporteur Maina Kiai about his smoking habit, NBC News reported.
"I hope you quit smoking," Obama said as the two greeted each other after the event.
Also Read: First in 30 years: Direct US, Iran nuclear talks to be held in New York
Kiai said he still enjoyed a smoke from time-to-time, and asked Obama if he had been able to kick the habit.
"I haven`t had a cigarette in 6 years...That`s because I`m scared of my wife," Obama told him with a grin.
The commander-in-chief`s nicotine habit has been in the limelight since taking over as the US President.
While pushing for passage of health care reform in 2009, he admitted that he still struggled with cigarettes and has continued to smoke on occasion as President.
"I`ve said before that as a former smoker I constantly struggle with it. Have I fallen off the wagon sometimes? Yes. Am I a daily smoker, a constant smoker? No," he said at a press conference in 2009.
"I don`t do it in front of my kids. I don`t do it in front of my family. And, you know, I would say that I am 95 per cent cured. But there are times where...There are times where I mess up."
In an 2012 interview with `iVillage`, First Lady Michelle said her husband had been motivated by their daughters to successfully quit for good.
"I know that his ability to ultimately kick the habit was because of the girls, because they`re at the age now where you can`t hide," Michelle said.
"I think that he didn`t want to look his girls in the eye and tell them that they shouldn`t do something that he was still doing," she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what