World`s oldest known twins turn 100 in Belgium
Brussels: Belgian sisters Gabrielle
Vaudremer and Marie Hendrix turned 100 years old on Sunday,
celebrating with champagne, cake and a song from their family
to claim the title of the world`s oldest known twins.
The pair received a shawl from the municipality and
flowers from the Chateau Sous-Bois retirement home where they
live as they marked their birthday with around 200 people,
including 28 relatives, a retirement home manager said.
"They drank champagne and they ate cream cake,"
regional manager Damien Berteau told a news agency by telephone from the
retirement home in Spa, eastern Belgium.
"They were very happy."
The family made a speech recounting the life of
Gabrielle Vaudremer as a hat seller who was passionate about
her craft and the "strict but fair" teacher Marie Hendrix, who
uses her married name, Berteau said.
Relatives then broke into a folk song from the city of
Liege, their hometown.
The Guinness World Records lists 98-year-old French
sisters as the oldest twins in the world.
Records are only recognised by Guinness upon request,
but the Belgian twins have not applied with the organisation
to officially enter their record and they do not seem
interested in doing so, Berteau said.
"They are humble people. They are not seeking
excessive media exposure," he said.
Earlier this week, the twins, who were born October 2,
1910, recounted their life in Liege after their family moved
out of northwestern France in an interview with the newspaper
"I always had a passion with hats," Gabrielle told the
newspaper. "When I was little, I would look at the ladies and
think that I too wanted to wear such beautiful hats."
The twins, who have no children, recalled that they
spent their holidays in the town of Spa, where they ended up
"We often went out to pick blueberries, hazelnuts and
mushrooms," Marie said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof