World`s oldest man, a self taught musician, dies at age 112
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Known for his musical flair, world’s oldest man, aged 112, nicknamed “Shorty” breathed his last in New York on Friday, reports said.
Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez of Spanish origin was born on June 8, 1901 and became the oldest man alive after Jiroemon Kimura aged 116 died on June 12 this year.
The news of world’s oldest man’s death was confirmed by Robert Young, senior gerontology consultant with Guinness World Records when Sanchez-Blazquez died at a nursing home in Grand Island.
Other than being a coal miner, Sanchez-Blazquez was a self taught musical genius who played dulzaina, a double-reed wind instrument that at weddings and village celebrations.
Born in a Spanish village, he headed to Cuba with his friends in 1918. Having worker for two years in Cuban cane fields, he went to the United States through Ellis Island and worked in the coal mines of Lynch, Kentucky. Ultimately, he moved to the Niagara Falls area of New York, where he worked in construction and in the industrial furnaces. He married his wife, Pearl, in 1934.
A spokeswoman for Sanchez-Blazquez`s family did not immediately return a phone message Saturday.
In a statement provided by Guinness World Records earlier this summer, Sanchez-Blazquez - whose nickname was "Shorty" - said he was humbled by the attention, saying he didn`t feel he accomplished anything special just because he has lived longer than most.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video