World`s oldest man, a self taught musician, dies at age 112
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Known for his musical flair, world’s oldest man, aged 112, nicknamed “Shorty” breathed his last in New York on Friday, reports said.
Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez of Spanish origin was born on June 8, 1901 and became the oldest man alive after Jiroemon Kimura aged 116 died on June 12 this year.
The news of world’s oldest man’s death was confirmed by Robert Young, senior gerontology consultant with Guinness World Records when Sanchez-Blazquez died at a nursing home in Grand Island.
Other than being a coal miner, Sanchez-Blazquez was a self taught musical genius who played dulzaina, a double-reed wind instrument that at weddings and village celebrations.
Born in a Spanish village, he headed to Cuba with his friends in 1918. Having worker for two years in Cuban cane fields, he went to the United States through Ellis Island and worked in the coal mines of Lynch, Kentucky. Ultimately, he moved to the Niagara Falls area of New York, where he worked in construction and in the industrial furnaces. He married his wife, Pearl, in 1934.
A spokeswoman for Sanchez-Blazquez`s family did not immediately return a phone message Saturday.
In a statement provided by Guinness World Records earlier this summer, Sanchez-Blazquez - whose nickname was "Shorty" - said he was humbled by the attention, saying he didn`t feel he accomplished anything special just because he has lived longer than most.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!