Worldwide image of US dips considerably, finds poll
Washington: Worldwide approval of US leadership has declined considerably during President Barack Obama’s second term at the White House, a new poll has found.
The Gallup Poll found that US’ leadership however increased in some countries, including Mexico.
According to the poll, the median approval rating for US leadership for 130 countries was 41 percent in 2012, down eight percentage points from the 49 percent approval during Obama’s first year in office.
In Mexico, US leadership had a 37 percent approval, an 11 percentage point increase from 2011, the poll found.
Gallup asked the respondents that if they approved or disapproved of the job performance of the leadership of the United States?
Gallup’s Julie Ray wrote that this shift suggested that the president and the new secretary of state may not find global audiences as receptive to the US agenda as they have in the past. In fact, they may even find even once-warm audiences increasingly critical.
In Europe, US leadership dipped from 42 percent in 2011 to 36 percent for last year, Politico reports.
Ray wrote that the data suggest that “the US was likely shouldering some of the blame for the ongoing financial crisis in Europe,” the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre