Worst smog yet hits Moscow, seeps into homes
Moscow: The city of Moscow was shrouded on Friday by a dense smog that grounded flights at international airports and seeped into homes and offices, as wildfires that have killed 50 people nationwide continued to burn.
The fires have torn through forests and villages over the last two weeks with lightning speed, also decimating a military base and threatening an animal shelter with hundreds of inhabitants.
On Friday, visibility in parts of the capital was down to a few dozen yards (meters) due to the smog caused by the fires, which carries a strong burning smell and causes coughing. Airborne pollutants, such as carbon monoxide, were four times higher than average readings — the worst seen to date in the Russian capital.
Dozens of forest and peat bog fires around the city are fanned by southeasterly winds and exacerbated by the country`s most intense heat wave in 130 years of record-keeping.
More than 500 separate blazes were active nationwide on Friday, mainly across Russia`s European territory, according to the Emergencies Ministry.
Yelena Galanova, a spokeswoman for Domodedovo Airport, said 15 flights were diverted to other airports overnight, significantly delaying outgoing flights on the same planes.
Visibility on the runway was down to 400 meters, less than half the average, and air traffic controllers were offering all incoming flights an option to divert to other nearby airports, she said.
Up to 2,000 homes have been destroyed in the blazes. Officials have suggested the 10,000 firefighters battling them aren`t enough. The forecast for the week ahead, with temperatures approaching 38 C (100 F), shows little change in the capital and surrounding regions, where the average summer temperature is around 23 (75).
Officials are also scrambling to minimise any further damage, evacuating explosives from other military facilities and sending planes, helicopters and even robots to help control blazes around the country`s top nuclear research facility in Sarov, 300 miles (480 kilometres) east of Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year