Wreck of WWII freighter believed found off Albania
Tirana (Albania): Underwater archaeologists
believe they have found the wreck of an Italian merchant ship
torpedoed by the British during World War II off Albania`s
A joint US-Albanian team said today the wreckage found
last weekend probably was part of the 8,000-ton Rosandra,
which sank after being hit by a British submarine 67 years
Six people died on the vessel, which was carrying
supplies to Italian occupation forces in Greece, but 173 were
safely evacuated to land, 400 meters away.
Italy occupied Albania from 1939 to September 1943.
Albanian archaeologists and the RPM Nautical Foundation
of Key West, Florida, have found 18 wrecks from ancient,
medieval and modern times, in a four-year search off the
Balkan country`s coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice