Wreckage of downed Turkish plane located
Moscow: Rescue teams have located the wreckage of a Turkish jet, shot down by Syrian forces two days ago, a media report said on Sunday.
According to TRT state television of Turkey, the jet`s wreckage was found in the Mediterranean waters at a depth of 1,000 to 1,300 metres. The search and rescue teams were searching for the two missing pilots in coordination with the Syrians.
The RF-4E reconnaissance aircraft disappeared over the Mediterranean, near the Syrian coast, at about 09.00 GMT on Friday.
On Sunday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu accused Syria of shooing down the jet in international airspace.
The Turkish reconnaissance plane "was performing a test and training flight to control the operation of the national radar and its flight was not aimed against Syria", said the minister, adding that it was shot down in international airspace and fell in Syria`s territorial waters.
Turkey as a NATO member country had requested an extraordinary NATO meeting over the jet downing, the minister further said.
Syria, however, maintains that it shot down the Turkish warplane over its territorial waters after it intruded into its airspace.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry has said this was not an act of aggression against Turkey but defence of the country`s sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened