Wreckage of Israeli helicopter found in Romania
Bucharest: The wreckage of an Israeli military helicopter that crashed into a mountain in central Romania has been found, and none of the seven soldiers aboard — one Romania and six Israeli — appear to have survived the crash, officials said Tuesday.
Mircea Opris, Romania`s chief mountain rescue official, said the remains of the helicopter, a Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion, were found after it crashed Monday. He said that the chopper had burst into flames after it hit a mountain wall in a remote area of central Romania.
"It is totally dismembered," Opris said in an interview with Realitatea TV.
Ciprian Aldea, a spokesman for the local police force, said human remains and helicopter parts were scattered in the area.
"Corpses, as such, have not been found. It is a very difficult area, very rocky," he said. "You can`t reach the area without the appropriate search equipment."
Romanian and Israeli government officials refused to confirm that the wreckage had been found or what had happened to the seven soldiers aboard.
The crash occurred as Romanian and Israeli troops were taking part in aviation exercises during which troops are trained to fly at low altitudes.
On Tuesday, the Israeli air force sent a transport plane to Romania to help search for the Israeli helicopter. The plane was carrying medical and search-and-rescue personnel, and officials who specialize in identifying bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people