WTC column returns to Twin Towers
New York: A giant column which formed the base of the Twin Towers that collapsed during the September 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centre was on Wednesday fixed into the building of the 9/11 memorial.
The column that was attached is the first of the two 70-foot-high `tridents`, the second one to be placed later this week.
"The tridents are visual references to the towers that once stood at the World Trade Centre," Mayor Michael Bloomberg was quoted as saying by The New York Post.
The tridents will be located at the visitors` centre, a glass building that will serve as the entrance to the 9/11 museum, according to The Post.
Describing the column as "the resurrection of the tridents”, Memorial President Joe Daniels said, "The tridents will stand as a powerful message of hope and endurance in the face of tragedy."
The new location of the trident is no more than 100 feet from where it originally stood, The Post said.
Alice Greenwald, director of the 9/11 museum, said the shape of the tridents form a "signature image" of the Twin Towers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda