Xi Jinping attends symposium on persecuted father
Beijing: China`s ruling Communist Party today held a symposium praising President Xi Jinping`s father Xi Zhongxun, who was purged and imprisoned by party founder Mao Zedong for his liberal views.
Xi, who has emerged as the most powerful leader as head of the Communist Party of China (CPC), President of the country and chief of the military in a recent leadership transition, attended the symposium.
CPC officials praised Xi Zhongxun as?"an excellent Party member, a great Communist fighter, an outstanding proletarian revolutionary as well as a distinguished political leader of our Party and military".
Xi Zhongxun, a first generation Communist leaders died in 2002 at the age of 89. He served as China`s vice premier between 1959 and 1965 and vice chairman of National People`s Congress (NPC).
He was imprisoned in 1962 by Mao accusing him to be part of anti-party clique and demoted to the position of a deputy manager of a tractor factory in 1965.
He came to prominence when Mao`s successor Deng Xiaoping took over power.
In his speech at the symposium, Li Jianguo, vice chairman of the Standing Committee of the NPC, China`s top legislature, reviewed Xi Zhongxun`s revolutionary career and his achievements, calling on others to follow his noble characteristics, revolutionary spirit and fine style.
Xi Zhongxun worked with late Premier Zhou Enlai at the State Council, or China`s cabinet, for ten years, and made important contribution to the economic development of China, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say