Xi Jinping chairs first meeting of CPC Politburo
Beijing: China`s new leader Xi Jinping today held the first meeting of the ruling Communist Party`s Politburo, a day after he was chosen as its General Secretary.
The meeting, presided by Xi, was held to "arrange the implementation of the spirit of the just-concluded 18th CPC National Congress," the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
A statement released after the meeting described the 18th CPC National Congress, held here from November 8 to 14, as "an extremely important meeting convened at the decisive stage of completing the building of a moderately prosperous society in all respects."
The statement said that the foremost political task is to focus the minds of the Party, the nation and people on the congress`s spirit and meet the various tasks and goals that have been set forth in the congress.
The newly-amended CPC Constitution reflects the fruit of the Party`s theoretical innovation and development of experimentation, important theories and views, guidelines and policies aimed at improving the CPC leadership and strengthening Party building, the statement said.
The CPC, the world`s largest political party with a reported membership of 83 million, has ruled China since its founding in 1949. The CPC unveiled a new leadership lineup led by Xi, 59, yesterday at the end of the 18th Party Congress.
Xi replaced Hu Jintao, 69, who retired after serving as the General Secretary of the CPC for 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie