Xinjiang terror link suspected in crash at Tiananmen Square
Beijing: Chinese police suspect the involvement of Islamic militants from the restive Xinjiang region in the mysterious car crash at the iconic Tiananmen Square in which five people were killed and 38 others injured.
A sports utility vehicle ploughed into pedestrians and caught fire yesterday at the Forbidden City entrance overlooking Tiananmen Square here, the site of the 1989 pro-democracy uprising brutally crushed by the military.
Late last night, police sent a notice to hotels to look for "suspicious guests", who had stayed since October 1, and also sought information on "suspicious vehicles," state-run Global Times reported.
The police notice said that a "major case had taken place on Monday" and named two residents of Pishan county and Shanshan county of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region as likely suspects, it said.
Police also described the light-coloured SUV which crashed into the steel railings and later caught fire as having number plates from Xinjiang, where Chinese security forces are facing a violent insurgency headed by the East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM), an al-Qaeda-backed separatist outfit.
The notice says the SUV has license number plates, all starting with the regional character showing they were from Xinjiang, the daily report said.
Xinjiang, home to the Uyghur Muslims, has been restive for the past few years as Uyghurs have protested over growing settlements of Han Chinese in the province.
If confirmed, this will be the first major incident involving Xinjiang militants in well-guarded Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India