Yanukovych named official winner of Ukraine vote
Kiev: Ukraine`s Central Election Commission says opposition leader Viktor Yanukovych has won the presidential election according to the final official count.
Sunday`s announcement comes three days ahead of the Feb. 17 deadline for releasing the final official results of the vote. It deals a major blow to Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko`s effort to overturn the results of the Feb. 7 vote before they are made official.
A preliminary count of the votes showed Yanukovych defeating Tymoshenko by 3.5 percentage points after last Sunday`s ballot.
Tymoshenko said in a televised appeal to the public Saturday that the vote was rigged and vowed to challenge the results in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'