Yanukovych named official winner of Ukraine vote
Kiev: Ukraine`s Central Election Commission says opposition leader Viktor Yanukovych has won the presidential election according to the final official count.
Sunday`s announcement comes three days ahead of the Feb. 17 deadline for releasing the final official results of the vote. It deals a major blow to Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko`s effort to overturn the results of the Feb. 7 vote before they are made official.
A preliminary count of the votes showed Yanukovych defeating Tymoshenko by 3.5 percentage points after last Sunday`s ballot.
Tymoshenko said in a televised appeal to the public Saturday that the vote was rigged and vowed to challenge the results in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan
- Bangladesh PM Hasina accuses BNP of being behind 2014 grenade attack
- Trains delayed after wire snaps on Delhi-Saharanpur route
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre launched in India at starting price of Rs 3.82 lakh
- PM Modi promises Centre's support to flood-hit states