Yanukovych named official winner of Ukraine vote
Kiev: Ukraine`s Central Election Commission says opposition leader Viktor Yanukovych has won the presidential election according to the final official count.
Sunday`s announcement comes three days ahead of the Feb. 17 deadline for releasing the final official results of the vote. It deals a major blow to Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko`s effort to overturn the results of the Feb. 7 vote before they are made official.
A preliminary count of the votes showed Yanukovych defeating Tymoshenko by 3.5 percentage points after last Sunday`s ballot.
Tymoshenko said in a televised appeal to the public Saturday that the vote was rigged and vowed to challenge the results in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions