Yanukovych trip to Brussels cancelled: EU
Kiev: The European Union on Tuesday delayed a key visit by the Ukrainian president after signals that the country`s jailed former prime minister, opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko, will not be released soon.
The decision could strengthen Russia`s hand in trying to lure Ukraine back into its sphere of influence. Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych met with his Russian counterpart Tuesday to discuss economic cooperation and natural gas
Tymoshenko was sentenced to seven years in prison last week on charges of abuse of office in the signing of a natural gas import contract with Russia in 2009.
She dismissed her trial as Yanukovych`s attempt to bar her from parliamentary elections next year.
The US and the EU have condemned the conviction as politically motivated.
Yanukovych had been slated to travel to Brussels Thursday for talks on a long-awaited free-trade agreement with the 27-nation bloc, but the EU announced that the trip has been postponed until "a later occasion when the conditions will be more conducive to making progress on the bilateral relations."
"Ukraine has to make improvement on important issues, such as the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary," said Dirk De Backer, spokesman for EU President Herman Van Rompuy.
The postponement of Yanukovych`s visit to Brussels follows indications from Kiev that Tymoshenko would not be quickly released based on legal amendments that would turn her misdemeanor from a criminal offense to a milder economic violation as her supporters and Western officials had hoped.
Pro-Yanukovych lawmakers refused to consider a relevant bill today morning and Yanukovych indicated in an interview with US and European newspapers published Tuesday that passing those legal reforms would take time.
Speaking after Yanukovych`s trip was put off, Oleksandr Yefremov, the head of the pro-Yanukovych faction in parliament, took an even harder stance, saying his party would not back the legal change altogether.
"First of all, we don`t change legislation for one person," Yefremov said in a statement posted on the party`s Web site.
"Second, if we annul that legal provision, we will automatically absolve public servants of responsibility for misusing the budget."
Both Kiev and Brussels sought to downplay the postponement of Yanukovych`s visit, saying negotiations on the trade agreement were still continuing.
"We are continuing to work with Ukraine," said EU Commission spokeswoman Karolina Kottova. Ukraine`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Voloshin said the
nation regrets the visit`s postponement "because our goal is to continue cooperation with the EU."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India