Yasser Arafat`s body to be exhumed on Tuesday for poison tests
Ramallah: Palestinian officials on Saturday confirmed that the concrete-encased grave of Palestinian president Yasser Arafat will be dug up on Tuesday in his former compound in the West Bank, as per a BBC news report.
Arafat`s remains are to be exhumed by French, Swiss and Russian investigators to check for a radioactive substance, polonium-210.
Body of the late president will undergo tests to find out whether his death in Paris in 2004 was caused by poisoning, the news report further said.
French doctors could never find out what killed Arafat. Also there was no post-mortem done which can reveal the cause of Arafat’s death.
The investigation came after a Swiss lab earlier this year discovered traces of the deadly isotope on some of Arafat`s clothes, sparking new suspicions he was poisoned.
The Palestinian officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the work at the gravesite is shrouded in secrecy, amid cultural sensitivities over digging up the remains of a revered leader. Arafat died in November 2004, a month after suddenly becoming ill.
"The tomb will be opened on November 27 and experts will take samples the same day within a matter of a few hours," Tawfiq Tirawi, the head of the Palestinian inquiry team told reporters in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
However, Tirawi did not explain the apparent delay while stressing the exhumation was painful but necessary to establish the truth of allegations that Israeli may have poisoned the iconic Palestinian leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now